Saturday, June 15, 2013

Mac OSX Mountain Lion Time Machine Backup to NAS slow over Ethernet

Now this has happened to me enough times that it needs to be blogged about so that when I suffer with it again I can come back to these hacks to try and resolve it again.

So on Friday evening I started off my Time Machine back up and today Saturday evening it had only backed up 1.5GB of the 13GB I wanted it to.

24 hours should be plenty to back this amount of data up!

My setup is as follows:
  • MackBook Pro connected via ethernet (WIFI connection good but ethernet better for backups)
  • Western Digital MyBookLive NAS connected via ethernet.
  • All up to date in terms of Mountain Lion updates and MyBookLive firmware
macbook specs

So in order to fix this I tried the following, one of these worked. No idea which one although I suspect the reboot into safe mode then restart is the magic here.
  • Open a command prompt and type without quotes "sudo tmdiagnose" and wait for it to complete.
  • In a web browser open up http://mybooklive.local and login to the western digital drive.
  • Turn off the twonky media service if you don't use it.
  • Turn off remote access if you do not need it.
  • Turn off the energy saver checkbox so the hard disk does not go to sleep.
  • Reboot the western digital drive just in case. if in doubt turn things off then back on again.
  • Ensure your mac is not indexing the local disk by checking spotlight. if it is wait for it to finish.
  • And now I think the magic. shutdown your mac via the apple logo then after a minute....
  • Turn on the mac holding down the shift key so that it boots into safe mode.
  • Stare at the screen for a while then reboot your mac.
  • Start time machine backup again. 
And then to my relief my time machine backup over ethernet process zoomed along and I saw this screen within about an hour which is much more acceptable.

time-machine-cleaning-up

Now all I need to work out is to back up my Western Digital NAS to Amazon's Glacier storage. I think I'll leave that for another weekend...

No comments: